I have been nominated for a Liebster Blog award by Kat over at katsstitching! Thank you for this Kat, I'm super excited! This award is simply another way for bloggers to get to know each other. I only had three followers before Vicki's Grow Your Blog Party last weekend. My blog has grown, and I have met so many wonderful new people. And I haven't even had a chance to visit all of the blogs that signed up for the party!
Of course, there are rules to follow for the Liebster, not bad ones though:
1. You must post 11 things about yourself.
2. Answer the questions that the nominator set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you nominate.
4. Choose 11 new blogs & link them in your post.
5. Please leave me a comment on this post with the URL to your Liebster award so I can learn more about YOU!
Here goes, 11 things about me
1. I am a violinist. My step father gave me his violin when I was in middle school, and I have loved it ever since. I was asked to audition for the Northwest Indiana Symphony Orchestra when I was a junior in High School, but I chickened out the day of my audition. The only time I play now is Christmas Eve.
2. I won a pageant when I was in High School. Back then, (1983) it was called America's Junior Miss. It has since been renamed to Young Woman of the Year. This pageant has always been based on Poise, Physical Fitness, Talent, Scholastics, and speaking ability. My picture hangs in the Portage High School auditorium where I won, along with all the other winners.
3. I'm afraid of heights. I think a lot of people are afraid of heights too. I try so hard to not give in to this one.
4. I have been up in the Eiffel Tower. This one is crazy, see number 3 above!
5. I have a fear of bridges as well. I have always been afraid of going off into the water, and not being able to get out of my car. My youngest son LOVES to tease me about these bridges when we travel-at least he gets a good laugh. I think the worse ever was Mackinac Island!
6. I've always wanted a horse. When we bought our house on ten acres, the lower half was already fenced for the previous owner's cows, has a creek running through, and a pond-it was meant to be. My neighbor asked me to go riding with her one day, so we went to saddle up. I couldn't lift the saddle. Nor can I pick up a hay bale. No horses here, end of discussion.
7. I love to run. Several years ago, I was too quickly approaching 200 pounds. I started walking every day. The weight came off, but walking wasn't good enough. I just really like running, but my body does not. It hurts my knees and hips. I do it anyway, when it's not twenty below outside!
8. I achieved lifetime member with Weight Watchers. It has been 5 years since I met that goal. I've put a few pounds back on now, but am working to get them back off. It's not so easy at my age!
9. I really enjoy Jillian Michaels workouts. Have you ever tried them, wow! If I skip a couple of days, then get back to them, I know I have skipped them, my muscles hurt. Note to self, didn't work out today, better do it tomorrow!
10. I am the queen of unfinished projects. Last spring I started remodeling my basement. It was already a finished basement-full kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, etc. We were going to knock out one wall make it a walk out basement. I replaced the kitchen cabinets, counters and floor. Boxed up everything in the basement (craft room, son's bedroom, books off bookshelves, dvds, etc). Weather was too wet, then we were too busy with son's racing, no time to do the digging. Decided to just replace the carpet and wait another year until son leaves for college. Carpet still hasn't been done, boxes not unpacked. This is just one project.
11. I am very shy and quiet. I've always had a very small group of close knit friends, because I get tongue tied around other people. This has been such a challenge in my life. Since my husband is an Army officer, it requires a lot of politics, many social events. I cringe at the suggestion of another event we are 'required' to go to. Blogging is much easier, I can talk without looking you in the face, wondering what you are thinking of me while I speak!
Moving on, the 11 questions from Kat:
- When and why did you start stitching? My roommate in college taught me to stitch. She couldn't stand that I loved to read for fun, so she had to 'broaden my horizens'
- Do you do any other crafts or have any other hobbies? I scrapbook, make cards, sew, and on my bucket list, I want to quilt. I've even bought quilt kits that I haven't started.
- What has been your favorite cross stitch project to date? I made a tooth fairy pillow when my boys were little, all three used it. One of the boys pulled it out of hiding last week, and displayed it on the living room couch-while I was still in SC!
- Do you belong to a stitching group or guild? Sadly, no. Wish I knew of one where I live, I think I'd give it a shot.
- What's your favorite LNS? ONS? Because I'm in the country, no LNS here. Closest city (over and hour drive) is Indianapolis, I try not to drive there too often. I usually shop from 123Stitch
- How many hours a week to you spend stitching? I stitch every evening, so at least 2 hours a day, more if I can. I have at least one project on all three levels of my house so I can stitch at any hour, without waking my family.
- What's one thing you would love to try, but haven't yet? Raising chickens! Bet that's not what anyone would expect!
- What does your stitching area look like? My favorite corner of my living room, Grandma's glider, small table with ORT jar, and a good Ott Lite.
- What is your favorite type of project? (BAPs, bookmarks, ornaments?) Most of what I've stitched have been gifts for other people, usually a medium sized picture that is their interest.
- What is your favorite book?/Who is your favorite author? The Redemption Series by Karen Kingsbury. Favorite author is Richard Paul Evans.
- What is one thing you truly love about yourself? I am compassionate. Maybe that's why I am so happy working in a nursing home.
Next, 11 questions for the people that I nominate:
1. If you could have any job you wanted, what would you want to be
2. What was the last movie you saw, what did you think of it
3. Do you prefer to cook, bake, or go out to eat
4. Do you like to watch sports-live or on tv
5. What was your favorite Christmas gift you've ever received
6. Do you prefer to vacation by yourself, with your family or your girlfriends
7. What is your perfect vacation
8. Are you a one project at a time person, or a serial starter
9. Do you prefer to be inside or outside
10. Describe your decorating style
11. Who is one famous person you admire
Sylvia @ Sylvia's Stitches
Rajeswari @ diapermum
Denise @ Neesie Natters
Wilma @ Wilma's World
Ronda @ Mountain Delights
Kathy @ Kathy in Ozarks
Retired Knitter @ My next 20 Years of Living
Laurie @ 111 La La Lane
Sandy @ French Laundry 132
I encourage you to stop by and check out these blogs!