Welcome to A Crafter's Corner! I love to create crafty projects, and would love to share some of my creations with you! If you are interested in scrapbooking, stamping, or cross stitch, these are the venues I use most often. Enjoy your visit!

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Never Too Old to Learn

When I stayed in South Carolina with my son several years ago, I spent a lot of time sitting around while my son practiced riding dirt bikes. He was at a training facility, so that was his purpose. I could only watch the boys riding the same track so many times in a day.  It was at this time that I first discovered blogs, and Postcrossing.  I don't know how I discovered either one, but I have really enjoyed both of them!
In case you have never heard of Postcrossing, it is a website that you can join for free.  The whole purpose is to send and receive postcards from people you don't know in other countries. Your address is only provided to one person at a time, as your name comes up on a list to received a postcard. You start out sending one postcard at a time until you get established, and gradually you can have more than one in the mail at a time.  I have participated on and off almost five years already. I have sent postcards to countries I have never heard of!  I am including a screenshot of the map of where my cards have been sent, or received from:



The red lines indicate cards I have sent, the blues lines are postcards I have received. This is fun to see. I wish my boys were still young enough we could have a map on the wall, and use this as a geography lesson. I never appreciated geography when I was growing up, now I wish I had paid attention more, but, you're never too old to learn new things. You never know what kind of picture your received postcard will have, I like to see ones that show something native to the country, like this one of "Kissing the Blarney Stone"


I always thought the Blarney stone was just an old wives' tale, I love this!  And I love this one I just received this week:


Unfortunately, the sparkle doesn't come through on this photo, it's much prettier in person.

I have received over 130 postcards over the years. I'm thinking I would like to start a scrapbook specifically for these, they are so much fun to look at.  I used to collect stamps with each of my sons as Cub Scout projects, so even the stamps from different countries are fun to compare. I encourage you, if you are looking for a new hobby, Postcrossing is something to look into, even my husband looks forward to seeing each postcard as they arrive. It's nice to receive something other than bills or junk mail in the box once in a while!

That's it for now, thanks for stopping by, have a great day!
Cindy

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting about this, Cindy! I need to get a stack of postcards and then I can start sending them out. I think my youngest will enjoy this too.

    ReplyDelete